Sunday, March 29, 2015

Miami Open: Murray beats Donald Young

Tennis Updates:


Britain’s Andy Murray managed to reach the third round of Miami Open with a straight-sets win over Donald Young. The Scot, world number four, who triumphed with the title in 2009 and 2012, won 6-4 6-2 against the American.


Earlier this month Murray beat Young in the Davis Cup and now he won the first four games of the match as he dominated from start to finish in spite of the windy conditions.


The Scot is now scheduled to play world number 31 Santiago Giraldo from Columbia, who defeated him during the last year’s Madrid Open.


“The match went well but it was tricky and difficult to feel comfortable on the court because of the conditions,” said Murray, who has a home in Miami.


“It was extremely windy and also the complete opposite to what we played in in Indian Wells five or six-day ago.

“I always enjoy coming back – it’s nice to spend some time in your bed. I’ve only spent 10 or so days at home in the UK this year so it’s nice when I am travelling to spend a bit of time in my own place.”


Number two seed Rafael Nadal secured a victory against fellow Spaniard Nicolas Almagro 6-4 6-2.


Nadal, who has four runner-up finishes in 10 prior appearances on the hardcourts of Miami, showed no signs of the training discomfort which left him with a sore ankle and threatened to compromise his start.


“I think I did the things well when I had to do. I played with no mistakes in the important points,” said Nadal. “The wind was really high, it was very difficult to find a positive feeling on court.


“I played a solid match. I played well, I had a good movement. I had some good winners, Almagro was not an easy opponent.”


Nadal said that his ankle is not fully healed, but is tolerable.


Although it hurt when he injured it on Monday, “after two days I improved 50 percent and it stays the same. It’s not limiting my movements.”


Switzerland’s seventh seed Stan Wawrinka missed the first set before coming back in the game and defeating Carlos Berlocq, from Argentina, 6-7 (9-11), 7-5 6-2.


Eighth seed Tomas Berdych beat 18-year-old South Korean Hyeon Chung 6-3 6-4.


The Czech will now face Bernard Tomic – 25th seed after the Australian defeated Austin Krajicek from America 7-6 (8-6) 7-5.


Donald Young vs. Andy Murray, 27/03/2015, 17:30 GMT, Match Center



Miami Open: Murray beats Donald Young

No comments: