Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Rafa Nadal to return to Aegon Championships at Queen's

Tennis Updates:


Rafa Nadal has announced on Monday that he would make a return to the Aegon Championships at Queen’s Club for the first time since 2011. At that time, he reached the quarterfinals, however he has not returned since, opting to play at the Halle Open in Germany instead as a warm-up for Wimbledon.


The 28-year-old Spaniard has not made a progress past the fourth round at Wimbledon during that time, therefore, he says that is the main reason he will come back to Queen’s in June.


“I want to try Queen’s again where the grass courts are a little bit more similar to Wimbledon,” he said.


“I’m very happy to be back,” he added. “Queen’s is a great event, I always enjoyed it. I had some great feelings there, the atmosphere of the club, tennis club, real tennis club, is really special and I really enjoy. The court, the grass courts, are unbelievable and I am just very pleased to be back there


“I had some great feelings there, the atmosphere of the club – a real tennis club – is very special, the courts are unbelievable.”


“I enjoyed Halle but the results have not been perfect for me in Halle, so I want to try Queen’s again where the grass courts are a little bit more similar to Wimbledon. That’s the reason for my decision,”


“The truth is in grass, most of the players have not the chance to play a lot of matches before Wimbledon so if you are able to play a couple of matches and get some confidence on that surface before, that helps to arrive there with better feeling,” said Nadal.


Nadal won the Aegon Championships in season 2008 on the way to the first of his two Wimbledon titles.


Other set to play at the tournament are Britain’s Andy Murray(won 3 times), US Open champion Marin Cilic(won 1 time), defending champion Grigor Dimitrov and Stan Wawrinka the 2014 Australian winner.


The Aegon Championships are planned to take place during 15-21 June.


by ScoresPro.com



Rafa Nadal to return to Aegon Championships at Queen's

No comments: