Monday, March 30, 2015

Miami Open: Watson out, Williams moves forward

Tennis Updates:


Britain’s Heather Watson did not manage to complete an exciting comeback against the German world number 15 Angelique Kerber in their rain-delayed Miami Open match.


The Briton player, ranked 41st, recovered from 5-1 down in the final set, however, she dropped serve when going for the tie 5-5, eventually losing 7-5 3-6 6-4.


The 22-year-old Heather Watson had her hopes on building on her impressive run to the fourth round of Indian Wells a couple of weeks ago but came up just short against Kerber.


Watson had let a 5-3 lead and two set points slip by in the first set on Saturday and ended the match having earned 20 break points, but converted only seven.


After getting the better of five breaks in the second set, the Briton seemed like she has blown her chance when she secured a double break down in the decider.


Angelique Kerber, 27, appeared to be fading badly as she twice failed to serve out the match, only for Watson to let her off the hook with four errors when serving at 5-4 down.


When Watson was asked about having to play across two days in testing conditions, she told the reporters “I’m not a stranger to it; I think it gave me a good opportunity after losing that first set to regroup.


“I think I didn’t strike the right balance today in when I should be patient and when I should be aggressive.


“I’m very disappointed in today. I felt it was a good opportunity for me, but I feel like I’m definitely improving as a player on the court with my tennis and mentally.


“I know I can compete with these girls and push them and beat them.”


Monica Niculescu was defeated by top seed Serena Williams with 6-3 6-1. The American endured some disappointing moments as she overcame the unorthodox Romanian for the second Miami Open running.


Williams had been under doubt for Miami as she is suffering a knee injury, but said: “It was a little sore in practice, but it was OK today. I really didn’t feel it today, to be honest.”


Canadian Eugenie Bouchard seeded sixth suffered a surprise 6-0 7-6 (7-4) lose by Germany’s Tatjana Maria.


Heather Watson vs Angelique Kerber, 28/03/2015, 16:55 GMT, Match Center

Serena Williams vs Monica Niculescu, 28/03/2015, 19:50 GMT, Match Center



Miami Open: Watson out, Williams moves forward

No comments: