Friday, March 27, 2015

Miami Open: Azarenka advances, Williams to fight knee pain

Tennis Updates:


Victoria Azarenka – two-time Miami Open champion managed to beat the Spain Silvia Soler-Espinosa 6-1, 6-3 and effortlessly advanced to the second round.


The 36th-ranked Belarusian – Azarenka and 2009 and 2011 winner, is making a return to the Miami tournament for the first time since 2012. She missed the 2013Miami Open due to right ankle injury and unfortunately was out last year with a left foot injury.


”It’s been unfortunate the last couple of years for me, but I love this tournament,” said Azarenka, the two-time Australian Open champion. ”I’m just looking forward to build my momentum here again and try to play as many matches as possible.”


Azarenka made a 4-1 advantage in the first set before Soler-Espinosa held serve in the fifth game. During the second set, the world 36th initially trailed 3-1 before securing the next five games to end the match.


”I think it was a pretty good first set,” Azarenka said. ”Second set, there were a bit too many mistakes in the beginning.”


Throughout the last season, the mentioned left foot injury plagued Azarenka which limited her to only nine tournaments. This year, in February she reached the final in Doha.


Serena Williams made her first practice Wednesday since a knee injury forced her to withdraw before her BNP Paribas Open semi-final last week but has not lowered her expectations for the Miami Open.


Williams, who earned a first-round bye, as the top seed in Miami, is planned to play Monica Niculescu from Romani on Friday and the world number one has reconciled that she will simply have to deal with some discomfort.


“I hit some balls today for the first time. I mean, it’s okay. I know I’m going to have to manage the pain. I think you just have to figure out the best way around it,” Williams, who has seven titles at Key Biscayne, told reporters.

“I don’t want to put too much pressure on it before then.


“I’m here in Miami, so I’m going to go for it and see what happens. I love this tournament, I love Miami, so we will see.”


“I definitely don’t have low expectations. I definitely expect to do the best that I can,” said Williams.


“Whether that’s winning or just stepping out on the court, that’s what I’m going to have to do. I don’t feel any pressure because I’ve won this title a few times, so I feel good about being here.”


Victoria Azarenka vs Silvia Soler Espinosa, 25/03/2015, 19:20 GMT, Match Center



Miami Open: Azarenka advances, Williams to fight knee pain

No comments: