Sunday, February 01, 2015

Williams clinches another Australian Open title after beating Sharapova

Tennis Updates:


Serena Williams extended her winning streak against Maria Sharapova to 16 matches to claim a 19th grand slam title in the Australian Open on Saturday. The American world number one served superbly to win a pulsating final 6-3 7-6 (7-5) after Sharapova fought back in the second set. Williams, 33, moves past Martina Navratilova and Chris Evert with a 19th major singles title.


Sharapova made a nervous start, double-faulting to drop serve in-game one, while Williams appeared keener than ever to shorten the points, possibly because of her ailment. Still feeling the effects of a heavy cold that has dogged her over the last week, Williams headed off court – in contrast to Sharapova – but the top seed returned at the potentially dangerous score of 3-2, 30-30, to calmly produce an ace and a forehand winner. Bellowing with emotion, Williams rolled on and pounced as Sharapova served to stay in the match at 5-4, creating a match point that the nerveless Russian slapped away with a searing forehand down the line. She repeated the trick at 6-4 in the tiebreak, but as ever, Williams’s serve had the final say, the booming ace announcing the champion like the first volley of a 21-gun salute.


“I was down and out, and he helped me today, and I just said prayers and it just — not to win but to be strong and to be healthy and in the end I was able to come through.” said Williams


“I also have to congratulate Maria, who played a wonderful, wonderful match tonight. She really, really pushed me tonight, and she played so well. Gave us a great final for not only for you guys but for women’s tennis.”


“Growing up I wasn’t the richest but I had a rich family in spirit and support,” Williams said at the presentation. “Standing here with 19 championships is something I never thought would happen. “I went on the court with just a ball, a racket and a hope and that’s all I had. It’s inspiring for you guys that want to be the best you can be, you never give up because you never know what can happen and who you can inspire and influence.


Sharapova, who saved two match points in the second round against Alexandra Panova, added: “I have to congratulate Serena on creating history and playing some of her best tennis. It’s an honour playing against her. I’ve not beaten her in a really long time but I love stepping on the court every time because she has been the best and you always want to play the best.


“I was almost down and out in the second round so feel I gave myself a second life in this tournament. It was not quite enough today but I am proud of my effort. “I gave it everything. I love playing in the Rod Laver Arena, I had some of my best moments on this court but also some of my toughest losses but that’s the life of a tennis player.”


Serena Williams vs Maria Sharapova 31/01/2015, 08:45 GMT, Match Center



Williams clinches another Australian Open title after beating Sharapova

No comments: