Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Australian Open: Watson, Ward and Edmund out, Murray the sole British tennis player

Tennis Updates:


Not the best start for Britain’s players after a disappointing day two at the Australian Open. Heather Watson, James Ward and Kyle Edmund all lost their matches. Kyle Edmund, the 20-year-old playing in an overseas Grand Slam for the first time, lost in straight sets 6-4 6-4 6-3 to American Steve Johnson, while James Ward lost in four sets 2-6 6-0 7-6 (8-6) 6-3 to 31st seed Fernando Verdasco. Disappointingly, Heather Watson, who last week secured the second WTA tournament title of her career in Hobart, also fell at the first hurdle, 6-4 6-0, beaten by Bulgarian Tsvetana Pironkova, currently 14 places below her in the world rankings. Watson appeared below par and was struck down with nausea and blurred vision during the match, which she lost 6-0, 6-4. It was a sad follow-up to the previous week’s heroics, which had propelled her up the rankings to a career-high of 38th. However, Andy Murray is the sole British tennis player left in the Australian Open.


“It’s come down to one or two points,” said Ward. “It was tough but I thought I played well. “Of course if I’d held two more times in the third I’ve won the set but it was tough conditions out there, very windy. We both played well. Even in the tie-break I gave myself a chance.”


Ward will now head back to London where he will attend the funeral of his grandmother, who passed away recently. “I don’t want to make excuses but it’s difficult. We’re a very close family and it was a bit of a shock,” he added.


“Yesterday I just kind of woke up not feeling that great,” said Watson. “Just kind of bloated and weak and not that good and I feel like that today as well. ”I just struggled on the court to have energy and against any player here you can’t be like that. It’s tough enough when you’re fit let alone when you’re not. “It’s really frustrating especially at the one time I really do want all my energy, want to be 100 per cent. ”But it happens and you’re dealt different cards on different days and I should have dealt with it better.”


“You learn more from your losses,” the very composed Edmund said. “Obviously, you don’t want to lose all the time, but when it does happen you have to take it positively. The guy’s ranked No.39 in the world. He’s a good player. I just have to keep looking to improve.”


Tsvetana Pironkova vs. Heather Watson, 20/01/2015, 00:15 GMT Match Center

Kyle Edmund vs. Steve Johnson, 20/01/2015, 00:15 GMT Match Center

Ward H. J. (GBR) vs. Fernando Verdasco, 20/01/2015, 01:50 GMT Match Center



Australian Open: Watson, Ward and Edmund out, Murray the sole British tennis player

No comments: