Thursday, January 29, 2015

Australian Open Final: Serena Williams vs Maria Sharapova

Tennis Updates:


Serena Williams will face Maria Sharapova in the Australian Open final after the pair won their semi-finals in straight sets in Melbourne. Williams brushed aside the latest member of ‘generation next’ trying to steal her crown by beating teenager Madison Keys 7-6(5) 6-2 on Thursday. The Russian had trounced compatriot Ekaterina Makarova 6-3 6-2 in the earlier semi-final. The best two players in the world have a long history and the odds are stacked in Williams’ favour ahead of the Melbourne Park decider on Saturday with the American holding a major psychological advantage. She has a 16-2 record against Sharapova, with the Russian five-time Grand Slam champion losing their every encounter since 2004.


Here is what Sharapova said about her past opponent Ekaterina Makarova:


“Playing a fellow Russian and playing someone who maybe wasn’t the favourite going into the semi-final, I knew she would come out and play really well,” the reigning French Open champion said. “I was ready for that and stood my ground and competed well.”


“I think my confidence should be pretty high going into a final of a grand slam no matter who I’m facing and whether I’ve had a terrible record, to say the least, against someone,” Sharapova said. “It doesn’t matter. I got there for a reason. I belong in that spot. I will do everything I can to get the title.”


“It’s been a strange road for me to get to the final, but I’m happy,” said Sharapova, who is now into her 10th Grand Slam final. “Came from behind in a few, really behind in one – saving match points. I felt like I was given a second chance. I just wanted to take my chances.”


“I think her power and her aggressiveness, I think that’s always made me a little bit too aggressive, maybe going for a little bit more than I had to,” she said. “She’s great at making players hit that shot that you don’t necessarily have to go for. “It’s been a really difficult matchup for me but I am a competitor.”


“She’s obviously a great player,” Williams said courtside, still suffering a cold and breaking into coughs. “I think she’s going to be winning this tournament very soon and lots of other grand slams. “I was really happy to see her do so well and be such a great sport at the same time.”


“I’ve felt better, but I’m feeling OK,” Serena said. “I’m just happy to still be in the tournament.”


Ekaterina Makarova vs Maria Sharapova 29/01/2015, 02:40 GMT, Match Center


Serena Williams vs. Madison Keys 29/01/2015, 04:30 GMT, Match Center


Serena Williams vs Maria Sharapova 31/01/2015, 08:30 GMT, Head to Head Matches



Australian Open Final: Serena Williams vs Maria Sharapova

No comments: