Saturday, January 24, 2015

Australian Open: Dimitrov expects a 'different' Murray

Tennis Updates:


Grigor Dimitrov expects a tougher test from Andy Murray at the Australian Open on Sunday than when he ended the Briton’s Wimbledon reign in July. The Bulgarian has been paired with the British number one in the fourth round of the Australian Open, with play set to start at around 9.30am (GMT) on Sunday morning. Dimitrov ended Murray’s reign as Wimbledon champion in the quarter-finals last year, beating a subdued Scot in straight sets at the All England Club. However, the 23-year-old is predicting a very different match against the Scot this time round.


“That day it was not him out there on the court. I think we all know that. I think it’s a different scenario this time,” said Dimitrov, who twice came from a set down to beat Marcos Baghdatis in five sets in the third round.


“It just happened for me on that day to really play good. I used every single mistake that he did. I’m sure in the next round he’s going to be really focused and composed and wants to do everything to stop me.


“I think he has a lot to look forward to. I think adding up the new (coaching) team, I think it’s all fresh. I think it’s going to give him a bit more excitement to compete, which I’m certainly aware of.


“But at the same time, I feel that I’m pretty stable around me as well. I think the only thing I can do is get out there and play my tennis.


“It’s a great match-up for me. I’m always excited to play against him. I always like that kind of challenge. I think physically and mentally I’m ready to play that match and really give 100 per cent.


“We always had good battles. We know how we play, so there’s no secrets out on the court, which in a way is nice to have. At least you know what to expect. I think it’s going to come down to those kind of little moments that we can use.”


“It will be a tough match (against Dimitrov) obviously,” said Murray. “He’s played well in the slams the last year or so.


“He’s obviously a talented player. He’s one of the young guys trying to make a breakthrough, so he’ll be motivated. Hopefully I can play a good match and make it tough for him.”


Andy Murray vs Grigor Dimitrov, 25/01/2015, 09:30 GMT, Head to Head Matches



Australian Open: Dimitrov expects a 'different' Murray

No comments: