Sunday, April 05, 2015

Andy Murray to play in the Miami Open final

Tennis Updates:


Andy Murray achieved his 4th Miami Open final with a convincing straight-sets win over 8th seed Tomas Berdych from Czech Republic. Third seed Murray won 6-4 6-4 and will is scheduled to play Novak Djokovic – the world number one or 22nd seed John Isner on Sunday.


The Briton, 27, broke Berdych’s serve four times as he took his career record against the Czech to 6-6. Murray, who triumphed with the Miami title in 2009 and 2013, is forecasted to return to 3rd in the world rankings during the following week.


When he was asked about a potential final against Djokovic, having lost to the world number 1 in Indian Wells last week, he said: “I know I need to play high-level tennis.


“He returns well so I need to get the balance right of being patient but dictating points when I get the opportunity.


“I’ve played well this week, much better than I did at Indian Wells.”


Friday’s first semi-final was a replica of the clash in January from the legendary Australian Open, which Murray won in four tense sets as he went up against Berdych and former coach Dani Vallverdu.


There was another familiar face in the Berdych box in Miami after fitness coach Jez Green recently began working with the Czech, having left Murray’s team along with Vallverdu last November.


“I did most things well, there’s not a lot I could complain about,” added Murray.


“My second serve was much better in the second set, I served well on the big points and got a lot of free points behind my serve.


“I dictated a lot of the points from the baseline and that’s important because when he’s inside the baseline and controls points, he’s a very powerful guy.”


“I’ve obviously played some good tennis here over the years. The reason for that is because I’m extremely familiar with the conditions, with the surface, the way the court plays,” he said.


“There are little things in the court that maybe players that haven’t played on it that much won’t really know.


“Because I practice on it all the time, I know how the ball bounces in certain areas and which serves work into certain spots on the court and how the ball responds off different spins. So that’s why I feel comfortable on it,” he said.


Andy Murray vs Tomas Berdych, 03/04/2015, 17:15 GMT, Match Center



Andy Murray to play in the Miami Open final

No comments: