Sunday, April 19, 2015

Monte Carlo Open: Djokovic passes by Nadal

Tennis Updates:


World number one – Novak Djokovic managed to secure a final in Monte Carlo Open after beating “the king of clay” – Rafael Nadal. In the final match of the tourney he is to face the Czech – Thomas Berdych.


Djokovic, aiming to win a 3rd Masters title in a row, lost the opening 2 games of the match but fought back to triumph 6-3 6-3 on the clay.


It was the 43rd meeting between the pair with Nadal – who has slipped to world number 5 – 23-20 ahead. Djokovic, 27, has lost only 2 matches this year.


Having Prince Albert of Monaco among the crowd, Djokovic and Nadal put on a high-class semi-final. Unfortunately, the injury-plagued Spaniard lacked the consistency to overcome the rampant Serb.


The 2nd set hinged on an 11-minute game at 3-3, with Nadal surrendering a 40-0 lead to suffer what proved to be the most important break.


“I’m very happy with how I played against such a tough opponent,” said Djokovic. “Rafa is the all-time best on the clay, it was not an easy match.


”It’s hard to say right now. One victory does not change everything that he has achieved on this surface, which is much more than me,” Djokovic said. ”I still don’t think that I am a better player than he is on clay. But I’m obviously trying my best to win all the matches that I play, not just against him but against anybody on any surface. That’s the kind of mindset that I have.”


“I played well, it was a relief to get this win. There was a lot of tension, it was tough to keep it all under control.


“I know the final with Tomas will be a different kind of match, but I’ll do my best to recover and get ready.”


”I think I played well for moments,” said Nadal. ”But I get a little bit tired a little bit too early. Then when you get little bit tired, you play a little bit shorter. Then it is impossible against him. He’s phenomenal in the way that he can move the ball to everywhere. If he takes advantage from inside the court, you are dead. ”


Earlier, 6th seed Berdych completed a 6-1 6-4 victory over French Gael Monfils.


Monfils had accounted for Roger Federer and Grigor Dimitrov earlier in the tournament, but Berdych won the 1st set in just 23 minutes.


The Czech broke twice at the start of the second set to reach his first Masters series final since losing to Federer in Madrid three years ago.


”I think there’s always chance,” Berdych said. ”You just need to try to make yourself as best as you can, try as hard as you can.”


Novak Djokovic vs Rafael Nadal, 18/04/2015, 13:40 GMT, Match Center



Monte Carlo Open: Djokovic passes by Nadal

No comments: