Wednesday, April 01, 2015

Miami Open: Williams sisters made it to the last 8

Tennis Updates:


The American tennis legends and sisters – Venus and Serena Williams made it into the last eight of the Miami Open with straight-set wins.


The world number one Serena defeated the 24th seeded Svetlana Kuznetsova from Russia 6-2 6-3 producing 20 unforced errors and 29 winners.Interestingly, the Russian player, who has won two grand slam titles, had beaten Williams two times in their previous 9 meetings. However, the outcome of this match never looked in doubt.


“I know Svetlana is super tough and we always have super tough matches,” said Serena after the match.


“It seems like I’m cruising but don’t think I’m cruising. I have my matches and I’m really focused in my matches because all these players I play are really good,” she added.


Serena has currently won the mind-blowing 18 straight matches and what is more, the American is looking to add to her seven titles in Miami with her third straight triumph after succeeding in 2013 and 2014.


The older sister of both – Venus continued a winning series of her own — making it 7 wins out of 7 against fellow former world number one Caroline Wozniacki from Denmark with a 6-3 7-6(1) victory. Moreover, the current win made it seven wins in Venus’s last 8 against top 10 opponents, highlighting her return to the form that the crowd wants to see, after suffering health problems.


Venus will now meet Carla Suarez Navarro as in the last eight following the Spaniard’s win over 7th seed Agnieszka Radwanska 5-7 6-0 6-4.


Third seed Simona Halep from Romania won through after securing a victory against Flavia Pennetta from Italy 6-3 7-5.


“I have always seen it as something to overcome, and not something that could stop me,” Venus said.


”I never get bored, actually,”


“Tennis is definitely not pushing paper. You have no idea what’s going to happen in the point.


“You can try to plan it the best you can, but it’s all up in the air. You have to improvise every single time. That never gets boring.”


”I don’t give up, and I believe in myself no matter what the odds are and what you may experience,” she said. ”I have always seen it as something to overcome, and not something that could stop me.”


Serena Williams vs Svetlana Kuznetsova, 30/03/2015, 17:15 GMT, Match Center

Venus Williams vs Caroline Wozniacki, 30/03/2015, 15:15 GMT, Match Center



Miami Open: Williams sisters made it to the last 8

No comments: