Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Murray to play at the Italian Open

Tennis Updates:


Andy Murray – the world number 3, will look to extend his clay-court winning streak at the Italian Open after confirming he will play in the tournament on 12/05/2015. The Scot had considered skipping Rome to rest ahead of the French Open, having won back-to-back titles in Munich and Madrid over the last couple of weeks. The Briton secured a victory against Rafael Nadal in Sunday’s Madrid Open final for his first Masters trophy on the surface.


Murray’s manager Matt Gentry says Tuesday, ”Andy confirmed to play tomorrow after practice just now.”


Murray, seeded 3rd, is scheduled to play Jeremy Chardy from France on Wednesday.


Novak Djokovic made a return with a 6-1 6-7 (5-7) 6-3 win over Nicolas Almagro on Tuesday after missing Madrid.


Murray managed to beat Rafael Nadal in the Madrid final on Sunday before heading to Rome, where he practiced two times before making his decision.


Between the 2 sessions, Murray told reporters: “I would like to play. I feel good just now in terms of my game, and confident.


“I said it would be good for me to play matches at sea level after playing at altitude the last couple of weeks, but I also need to look a little bit further ahead with such big events just around the corner – Roland Garros and Wimbledon – and try to make the best decision.”


The Scot, 27, also confirmed that he will be working exclusively with coach Jonas Bjorkman from the end of Wimbledon until potentially the end of the year.


Murray began working with Amelie Mauresmo last June. However, the Frenchwoman is expecting her first child in August.


“Jonas is going to be with me after Wimbledon, just me and him through potentially right until the end of the year,” said Murray.


“I think both of us are quite motivated to do that. I didn’t get to spend too much time with Jonas so far but it’s been a good start and I’ll try to keep it up.”


Murray said earlier he was contemplating withdrawing: ”I made my schedule based on my performances on clay in the past couple of years and I never played that well on clay. So I didn’t expect to play eight matches in the space of 10 days.”


by ScoresPro.com



Murray to play at the Italian Open

No comments: