Saturday, May 09, 2015

Madrid Open: Williams and Sharapova defeated

Tennis Updates:


Serena Williams had not lost a match all year until she ran into Petra Kvitova at the Madrid Open on Friday. Unquestionably, after being nearly beaten by the Czech player in the semifinals, she didn’t feel quite like herself.


”I wasn’t Serena today,” the top-ranked American said after a 6-2, 6-3 loss ended her 27-match WTA tour win streak dating back to 2014. ”I’m just exhausted today.”


It was Kvitova’s 1st win over Williams in 6 career meetings, but she dominated throughout with her powerful groundstrokes and broke the American 6 times.


”I had never beaten her, so it’s a really special moment for me,” the two-time Wimbledon champion said.


“I’m just happy to be in the final,” said Kuznetsova, a 2-time Grand Slam winner but currently down at 29 in the world.


Maria Sharapova was also eliminated, losing 6-2, 6-4 to Svetlana Kuznetsova in the first semifinal.


In the men’s tournament, Rafael Nadal advanced to the semifinals by beating Grigor Dimitrov 6-3, 6-4.


Nadal’s opponent will be 6th-seeded Tomas Berdych of the Czech Republic, who defeated John Isner of the United States, 3-6, 7-6 (7), 7-6 (1).


”It’s great news to be in the semifinals, it’s a very positive result for me,” Nadal said. ”I am pleased with the way I played this afternoon, very happy.”


Earlier, Kuznetsova beat Sharapova for the first time in 7 years, breaking her opponent’s serve 3times and saving the one break point she faced.


Sharapova, who could have returned to No. 2 in the rankings with a victory, said she wasn’t able to take advantage of Kuznetsova’s second serves like she had done in the past.


”Today she had much more pop on her ball than I did, while I felt my shots were a bit too flat,” Sharapova said.


”I also think the court and the bounce, with the altitude here, meant her spin was getting really high.”


Kuznetsova, who will be playing in her first final in 9 months, is 1-3 against Kvitova but beat the Czech on clay last year at the French Open in their last meeting.


by ScoresPro.com



Madrid Open: Williams and Sharapova defeated

No comments: